Monday, December 13, 2010

Don’t Excuse Sickness!

Don’t Excuse Sickness!

And the inhabitant shall not say, I am sick: the people that dwell therein shall be forgiven their iniquity (Isaiah 33:24).

Some people have a hard time accepting the supernatural life Christ made available for everyone who believes in Him. They find it strange to think and accept that it’s actually possible to live on earth without being sick. Some even buttress their claims with what Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12:7-9: “…there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

Many have interpreted Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” to be a kind of sickness, and use it as an excuse to say, “If Paul could be sick, then, it’s normal for any Christian to be sick.” However, that’s not what the Bible teaches. “Thorn in the flesh” doesn’t necessarily refer to a problem in the flesh; it’s a figure of speech used to express something that causes pain or discomfort, a troubling or perplexing situation.

If you study Paul’s writing in context, you’ll discover he wasn’t referring to any kind of sickness or infirmity of the body. The 10th verse lets us know he was referring to the batterings he experienced from the persecutions, reproaches, distresses and adversities he faced for the sake of the Gospel. He never for once rejoiced about being sick or excused sickness.

Understand that Jesus came, not just to die for us and save us from sin, or to heal our sick bodies, but also to give us Zoë, the God-kind of life. That life is what you received when you were born again, and it can’t be destroyed by sickness, disease and infirmity. Sadly, many haven’t understood what this life is all about, so they suffer ignorantly with sickness (Hosea 4:6). But as you take a hold of this truth today and live by it, you’ll begin to experience the joy of living in divine health.

Confession
I refuse to be sick because it’s not in my nature. I’m a new creation in Christ Jesus; old things are passed away, and all things have become new. The man that could get sick is dead; the “me” that’s alive today has Zoë – the supernatural life of God that makes me invincible and impregnable to sickness, disease and infirmity.

Further Study
John 1:12-13
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Daily Scripture Reading
1 Year Bible Jude
Reading plan Ezekiel 27-28

2 Year Bible Revelation 9:1-10
Reading Plan Amos 9

No comments: