Monday, August 10, 2009

We were beaten, tortured, sent on exile for belonging to NEPU - Asabe Reza

We were beaten, tortured, sent on exile for belonging to NEPU - Asabe Reza
Written by Effiong Ekpo

Hajiya Mairo, popularly known as Asabe Reza, is a woman whose contribution to the attainment of democracy in Kano in particular and in Nigeria in general can never be forgotten. The 70 year old woman ventured into politics 50 years ago. She was one of the most active women during the First Republic. In an interview with Sunday Trust, she spoke on how she ventured into politics as a member of the late Malam Aminu Kano led-Northern Elements Progressive Union (NEPU), politics today, the future of Nigerian politics and the role of women in politics among other issues. Excerpts:

What made up so popular?


My name is Mairo, but as you all know I am popularly known as name Asabe Reza. I was born about 70 years ago at Fagge quarters here in Kano. I never attended any form of western education.


Considering the conservative nature of northern women, how did you find yourself in politics?


I am a very straight-forward person and bold and therefore do not condone intimidation, no matter where it is coming from, be it from the authorities or from the ruling class. That was why I joined NEPU “Sawaba”. It was a party for the emancipation of the masses against all forms of victimization and intimidations. I can remember how one Muhammadu Baban Yanga bought the party membership card for me at the cost of 5kobo. That was the beginning of my struggle as a politician and an advocate of freedom. If I am not mistaken, it was one Muhammadu Baban Yanga who bought the party membership card for me. Then, I was barely 20 years old.


Can you remember some of the people who were in NEPU with you then?



Sure! I can remember but not all. There were people like my boss, Mohammadu Dan Galan, the leader of NEPU, Malam Aminu Kano,(may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace), Alhaji Ammani Inuwa, Alhaji Tanko Yakassai, Alhaji Mudi Spikin, Alhaji Sani Darma and many others. (Please pardon my poor memory).

You only mentioned males. Were you the only female member of the party then?


No, I was not the only female member of the party. There were women like late Hajiya Delu Hudu, late Hajiya Jummai Wal, late Hajiya Biye Dala, late Hajiya Baturiya Dala and Hajiya Yar Maiwaina and a lot others. The fact is that we were many in the struggle.

What influence your choice of political party?


As I have said earlier, I so much love equity and freedom in every aspect, and NEPU came with the ideal ideology of a party whose primary concern was the masses. The then ruling party was such that intimidated, tortured and victimized innocent citizens. Through NEPU, we stood up against such ill vices, we were not afraid of any form of inhumanity. We were ready to die for the masses. Our driving force was just simple “Let the masses be free”. We were seen as terrorists and were as well treated as such.


Do you presently belong to any political party?



Yes, I am a member of the All Nigerian People Party (ANPP).



What informed your choice of ANPP?



I decide to choose ANPP and not any other party because I see it as the party that has the masses at heart, an ideal that was central to the doctrines of my model party, which was NEPU.



Having gone through a lot in the name of politics, how will you compare the struggle, when you were in NEPU, and that of ANPP?



Actually, during the NEPU era, the struggle was equivalent to being in the battle field. It was a do-or-die affair for us. We were beaten, tortured and in most cases sent on exile, just for the simple reason of being in NEPU or nurturing the NEPU Ideologies. Many of NEPU members were forced to leave their states of origin; some were forced out of the country completely. Freedom of speech was denied, right to fair hearing was abused. During that era, our struggle was for real freedom. To God be the glory, now the struggle is quite different, people are free to express their satisfaction or dissatisfaction over issues without being intimidated or being hunted for like in a wild game. It is now freer and much easier. Also, one has the right to choose from the long list of registered political parties present in the country. Simply, the politics of today is freer and more liberal.

As a woman who struggled side by side with men, are you satisfied with the level of female involvement in the present government?


Yes, I am. Because, looking at the present situation, there are a lot of women occupying various strategic positions in government. And slowly, I believe their ratio is going to be satisfactory to all equity-seekers among us. Don’t ask me why I was not given a position. I am not in such strategic position simply because they need qualified personnel with the technical knowhow to deliver, and like I said earlier, I am not educated.


You mentioned how NEPU members were maltreated; why were you people treated that way?


We were maltreated because we stood on our ground, saying no to inequality, we said no to unnecessary taxation and we said no to maltreatment. We said, let the massed be treated like humans, not like animals. We have said let the masses not be forced to work on other people’s farms. These were our offences.


How do you foresee democracy in Nigeria in the nearest future?


Well, I cannot say anything about the future. God decides who lives and who dies. Though this country has come a long way, we have suffered not because we have committed any offence but because we stood by the masses in saying let their children be enrolled in schools, let the masses be taxed accordingly. These were our offences. But I strongly believe that things will be better, the future will be fruitful.



As an elder in the party ruling Kano state, and now that 20011 is approaching, what are your party’s chances of winning Kano?



I have a very strong feeling that ANPP will win Kano again. Unless if a person is blind, the good projects executed by the ANPP led government in Kano state are visible everywhere. Let me repeat myself, I am confident that ANPP will win Kano, come 20011.


What advice do you wish to offer to women in politics?



Let them continue to be very active in politics and let patience and perseverance be their driving forces. Women should not be left behind, we have been active and therefore will continue to be, God willing. So women should strive harder and the sky should be their starting point.

No comments: